Prompt: “Choose a work of fiction that you cherish. In a single sentence, try to state the major reason why you love reading this work. Then list several ways with which the author achieved this effect. The reasons don’t have to employ any fancy terms and they don’t have to make sense to anyone but you. You’re simply trying to tune in to the source of the magic.”
This Side of Paradise: Amory Blaine is the quintessential college student; enamored with women, drifting aimlessly, and steeped in an upper-class upbringing which rubs most of his peers the wrong way.
- The setting of Princeton could not be any more perfect for such a character.
- The endless and intricate pursuit of his love interests in detail.
- His lack of structure and effort in his registered courses, yet he delves into poetry and literature of his own choosing.
- A lack of direction fuels his borderline nihilistic approach to life.
- The sense of prestige and ease of his life.